Monday, August 29, 2011

Peanut butter and jelly cupcakes


Yes this could quite be the most delicious thing I have had in a very long time. The white cupcake combined with the peanut butter frosting, and jelly filled middle was exactly like a pb&j sandwich, with a glass of cold milk I was in dessert heaven. Is your mouth drooling yet?


So of course with this you could use boxed white cake mix, totally fine. But if you want to make it from scratch here is the best white cake recipe I have come across so far: 


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 large egg whites (3/4 cup)
3/4 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract


In a bowl beat together the butter and sugar for about 5 minutes. You want it to be fluffy and light looking. 
Stir together flour, baking powder and salt in another bowl and set that aside. Combine egg whites, milk and vanilla extract in a third bowl. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to butter mixture then add half the milk mixture. Continue to alternate beginning and ending with flour mixture. Scrape bowl and beater often.  Bake about 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center emerges clean. 


I know this sounds confusing, and has a lot of dishes to clean but I promise it is a good cake :)


Now, once the cupcakes are done, remove them from the pan and let cool. I have a gadget that is for filling cupcakes with., if you don't have one of these you can simply scrape out a little well in the cupcake. The filling for the cupcake is just preservatives, any kind you like. I prefer raspberry, so that is what I used, but strawberry or anything like that would be super good too.


For the peanut butter frosting:
1/2 cup of softened butter
1 cup of peanut butter
2 cups confectioners sugar
2-3 tablespoons of milk. (I used 2, just depends on how thick you like it)


Beat together the butter and peanut butter, mix in the confectioners sugar and once it starts to get thick, add in the milk. Beat all ingredients together until it is nice and fluffy. 


Enjoy! 





1 comment:

  1. Oh. My. Goodness. These look spectacular!!!! I wonder if I could find a way to do them gluten-free...

    ReplyDelete