Sunday, August 28, 2011

Red Velvet Trifle

Besides cupcakes, I am huge into trifles. Last Thanksgiving I decided to try one for the first time, and went out and bought a really nice trifle serving dish. Ever since then I have been hooked. Our favorite one is a strawberry cheese cake, and the next time I make it I will post the recipe and picture for it. But for now this is my latest one... Red Velvet Cheesecake.


I have tried several different red velvet recipes, and so far this one is my favorite. Although with this specific trifle, I do not recommend letting it sit for more than 24 hours before you bite into it, the cake soaked up the filling after sitting for too long, and it wasn't very good when that happened.


Red Velvet cake-

1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cup cake flour
1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter
2 ounces red food coloring
2 tablespoons cocoa
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon vinegar


Preheat oven to 350ยบ F.


In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs, butter and sugar until creamy. Add cocoa and food coloring. Mix until well combined.
In a medium mixing bowl, sift together flour and salt. Add to creamed mixture alternating with buttermilk. Mix in vanilla.
  
In a small bowl, combine soda and vinegar and add to batter. 


I used the batter and made cupcakes with it (but you can do cake pans too), and once cooled cut the cupcakes into 4 squares. I don't recall how many cupcakes it took for the trifle, but there where some left over to frost.


For the filling, depending on how big your trifle dish is (i had to double the filling recipe for mine)
1 (3 oz.) envelope cheesecake flavored instant pudding
2 cups milk
Allow pudding to set up in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
Most trifles calls for you to fold the pudding in with cool whip, I left this part out for this particular trifle, but if you prefer to fold some it it will be just as good.


Assembling the trifle-
I did a layer of red velvet cake, pudding, then a layer of chopped walnuts, and repeat. Once I got to the top I did a a layer of thawed cool whip then some more walnuts.




No comments:

Post a Comment